Monday, January 02, 2006

Charity Knits


Not long after I took up knitting, I decided I wanted to knit for more than just me. Afghans for Afghans was the perfect choice for a lot of reasons. First of all, my sister has been over there twice already and is now there again. She related a lot of stories of absolute abject poverty. Not the kind that she or I had ever known but poverty so great that parents were unsure of whether they would be able to feed, clothe, or provide shelter for their children. The pictures she took were mesmerizing in a unique way. It was like looking into some alternate universe. I googled charity knitting and up popped afghans for Afghans. I've sent them two shipments already and am working on my third. Right now they need hats. 500 hats to be exact. These hats will provide warmth for children who may go cold otherwise. DS can tell you firsthand, winter in Afghanistan is bitter. If you happen to knit or crochet, please consider putting your current projects on hold and whipping up at least two hats to send in. You can go to the website at afghansforafghans.org and get the guidelines and mailing address. Please note that you need to use all wool or 75% wool for these items. They do accept lower percentage wool blends for other shipments but not this one because it will be keeping little heads warm. I am planning on putting some earflaps on mine and will post a pic while in progress this week. Thanks for letting me get a little preachy. This is very close to my heart.

No comments: